How To Cook Rice: Cooking rice is the simplest recipe ever. You can make amazing dishes out of it by knowing some tips. By adding veggies, fruits, dry fruits and curd can give your rice a completely new and tempting flavor. Vegetable stock or chicken stock can also make it more interesting. So, let’s learn how to cook rice.
Recipe Related Timings
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Soaking Time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Rice (White)
- Pan with lid
- Microwave bowl
- Ghee/clarified butter
Method 1: Cooking Rice on Cooking Gas or Stove
The steps are described according to 1 cup of rice.
1. Wash & Rinse the rice: Take 1 cup of rice in a pan. Wash and rinse it properly to clear the dust and dirt on it. It will also remove dusty starch to avoid the stickiness of the rice. Wash it at least twice and thrice or until the water runs clear.
2. Add water in the pan: Add 2 cup of water in the pan.
3. Soak before cooking: Soak the rice for 15 minutes to save time and to get a fluffy texture.
4. Put at a high flame: Place the pan on the stove on high flame with the lid on. Use the same water to cook. You may add butter, lemon juice or a pinch of salt.
5. Simmer the flame: As soon as it starts boiling, simmer the flame. Just open the lid a bit if it does not have a hole to pass the steam. Cook it according to the chart provided.
- Regular rice: 15 minutes
- Basmati rice: 15-20 minutes
- Jasmine rice: 15-20 minutes
- Black rice: 30 minutes
- Long grain brown rice: 50 minutes
- Long grain white rice: 20 minutes
- Medium grain white rice: 20 minutes
Note: Drain starch when it is half cooked.
6. Check The rice: Take some grains of rice and check them.
7. Let it rest: If rice is cooked turn off the heat and replace it with a closed lid. Let it rest for a while. Patience is a virtue, my friend.
Method 2: Cooking Rice on Microwave Oven
1. Wash, Rinse & Soak.
2. Switch the microwave to the highest heat and put the soaked rice in it for 10 minutes.
Note: Do not cover the rice when microwaving it.
3. After 10 minutes, switch the microwave to low heat. Continue microwaving the rice for 15 minutes. Leave the rice uncovered.
Note: Brown rice can take more time to cook than white rice. Microwave the brown rice for 20 additional minutes instead of 15 and do not stir the rice in between microwave sessions.
4. After 15 minutes of cooking, gently fluff the rice.
Note: If the rice is still stiff cook them more for a little more and use oven mitts to hold the container to avoid burning.
5. Now enjoy the cooked rice.
Method 3: Cooking Rice in Rice Cooker
1. Take 1 cup of rice in a bowl.
2. Wash, rinse and soak.
3. Now transfer the rice from the bowl to the pan of the rice cooker.
4. Add water to the rice cooker pan.
5. Put the pan into the rice cooker and close the top.
Note: You can add any spices, oil or butter.
6. Turn the cooker on.
7. The cooker will notify you by the indicator. Let it rest there at least for another 10 minutes.
Nutritional Value Details
1 cup of cooked white rice contains below given nutritional value.
- Calorie: 204
- Fat: 0.44 g
- Carbohydrate: 44.08 g
- Dietary fibers: 0.6 g
- Sugar: 0.08 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
- Sodium: 5.77 mg
- Calcium: 16 mg
- Iron: 1.88 mg
- Potassium: 55 mg
- Open the lid a little at low flame.
- Soak the rice for the good results.
- Add Salt, clarified butter (ghee) or lemon to enhance the taste and flavor.
- Never use a pan with a light bottom.
- Never put insufficient water.
- Never treat all kinds of rice the same.
- Never microwave rice with the lid on.